San Diego and South Riverside Counties Best Resource for Selling Your HomeOur experts have everything you need to know about selling your home. Get that expert advice from someone you can trust and sell that home fast!
Selling Your Home Fast!
There are many factors that affect how quickly your home will sell and how to set its value. Let's look at a few of the more important aspects of selling a home:
What's the condition of the Property?
The better the home is presented the more successful the selling process will be. For instance, if the house needs a new roof or has peeling paint, taking care of these problems before you list your home for sale should help speed along the selling process
PriceMany times a home that is overpriced will sit on the market for many months while similar homes are being sold. The best way to price your home is by doing a Competitive Market Analysis (CMA). Your Realty Expert will provide this for you.
FinancingIf financing rates are too high or if the seller requires a larger down payment than is customary for the area, then the financing may delay the sale. A skilled Realty Expert will be able to help a seller through this often confusing process.
Market ConditionsTiming also is a factor that affects the sale of your home. It may be a sellers' market or a buyers' market. No one can change market conditions during the time the property is for sale. An experienced Realty Expert knows the market environment and will advise you on the best strategy to sell the home based on current conditions.
CompetitionEvery buyer makes his or her decision about which home to buy and how much it is worth by comparing it to similar properties that are for sale in the area. The current competition always affects the buyer's opinion of your home and what it's worth. So, the question is, what other choices does a buyer have and how does your home compare to other homes that are for sale?
Promotion is the ability to bring buyers to your property. This includes traditional marketing methods such as advertising. One of the strengths of Realty Experts is that our Agents are constantly in touch with people who want to buy property, and can bring you the seller an extra edge.
It is important to note that even the very best promotion has its limitations, because promotion cannot overcome the first five factors if they are out of balance.
So, as you begin to look at selling your home, it's important to first determine if...
The home is presented well...
The price is set right...
The financing is handled correctly...
The market is buy or seller driven...
Your property compares favorably to others that are available
Increase Your Home's Curbside Appeal
Your home's exterior is the first thing a potential buyer sees when visiting your home. The following tips will help you increase your home's curbside appeal and create a strong first impression to potential home buyers:
Replace missing slats, stakes and posts.
- Repair broken hinges and paint or stain the fence if necessary.
Mow, trim and fertilize the lawn.
- Weed flower beds and replace dead plants and trees.
Driveway, Garage, Carport
Clean up grease or oil spots on concrete surfaces.
Make sure the garage door opens freely and the automatic door opener is working.
- Provide an unobstructed view of your home from the street by not parking cars, boats or other vehicles in the driveway.
Polish door handles and door knockers.
Replace worn or broken items, such as an unsightly mailbox or rusty doorbell.
- Be sure porch lights are working and add welcoming features such as a new door mat and flowering plants. Red flowers are especially attractive!
Consider painting the highlight features of your home, such as trim work, shutters, gutters, down spouts and railings.
If necessary, add a fresh coat of exterior paint to the exterior siding.
Remove debris such as tree branches and leaves.
Straighten or remove the TV antenna.
Make any necessary repairs to worn shingles or cracked surfaces.
Patio & Deck
Flowering plants and outdoor furniture add appeal.
Remove any unnecessary items such as gardening equipment.
- Tidy any visible items, such as an outdoor grill or barbecue.
Add Housewarming Appeal
Your Home's Interior
Experience shows that creating a warm feeling inside your home increases its desirability. View your home with a critical eye. Clean it meticulously, complete minor repairs and add finishing touches. Here's a list of suggestions to get you started:
- Doors and Windows:
- Consider adding a fresh coat of paint to your front door.
- Polish brass fixtures and be sure door locks work properly.
- Oil hinges to both doors and windows.
- Keep stairways tidy and secure handrail.
- Repair or replace bent or damaged screens and window glass.
- Cut back outdoor plants that restrict natural light.
- Keep windows clean and tidy with draperies firmly affixed and in proper working order.
Closet and Storage Areas
- Ample storage space increases the desirability of the home so keep closets tidy.
- Discard any unnecessary items and consider storing those you do not use frequently.
Bedrooms and Living Areas
Keep living areas clean and inviting.
Arrange furniture to allow a spacious atmosphere.
Make beds, arrange couch cushions, dust shelves, vacuum carpets and touch-up walls with paint or spackling as necessary.
Wallpaper should be clean and adhere smoothly to the walls.
- Finishing touches such as flowers or candles add to the home's appeal.
Kitchens and Bathrooms
Clear counters, drawers and cabinets of unnecessary items.
Clean soap dishes, mirrors, faucets and appliances (inside and out).
- Store cleaning supplies and hang freshly washed towels.
Counters and Cabinets
- Store infrequently used counter-top items to allow a spacious look in the kitchen and bathroom. Keep drawers and cabinets tidy and organized.
Garage or Workshop
Items should be neatly stored in shelving or wall units.
Allow appropriate space for the home buyer to visualize their vehicle or workbench.
Consider moving excess or over-sized items to mini-storage.